Sheila Andersen, RN, MSN, started her nursing career in 1982 when she graduated with her Practical Nursing degree. She worked in long-term care facilities until she returned to school and graduated in 1986 with an associate degree in nursing.
From 1986 to 1988, most of her work was in the long-term care setting. In 1988, Sheila started to work in the hospital setting, and through the years she worked in many areas of the hospital, with Preoperative Unit and the Intensive Care Unit settings being the main focus.
In 2012, she graduated with a bachelor's degree in management and ethics. She continued to work in the Intensive Care setting, and in 2014, Sheila completed her bachelor’s degree in nursing. From 1986 to the present, she has worked as a staff nurse and a charge nurse and resource person.
Pursuing a nursing career has become one of her goals, and in 2017, she graduated with her Master of Science in Nursing, Gerontology Clinical Nurse. The Intensive Care Unit is where she currently continues to work as a full-time nurse.
Throughout her nursing career, she has taught Nurse Aide courses, been an active member in the nurse practice council, and served on an ethics committee, where she took call for ethical issues. In the hospital, setting the quality core measures, she has researched central-line-associated blood stream infections (CLABSI) and prevention of CLABSI. Sheila helped to establish a policy for an organization on CLABSI prevention while educating the nursing staff and doing compliance auditing for prevention.
- Registered Nurse: Kansas, Missouri, and New Mexico
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Instructor: 1999 to 2006
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- Trauma Nursing Core Course Certification
- American Association of Critical Care Nurse 2013 to current
- American Nurses Association 2016 to current
- Missouri Nurses Association 2016 to current
- Sigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursing 2016 to current
- International Nurses Association 2016 to current